August 25, 2020
Music reaching from Mali to Ethiopia, South Africa to Ghana, Burkina Faso and beyond.
In VF Live, our favourite collectors take you inside their homes, record shops, and studios, for intimate mixes and performances.
Sound artist Peter Adjaye returns for his sixth set, diving into his collection of post-colonial African records.
“This is my return to ever growing research into the post-colonial independence music of Africa,” shares Adjaye. “This set really reaches all four corners and these musicians stand tall in the musical history of the mighty continent: all the way east to west to south — from Mali, Ethiopia, South Africa, Ghana to Burkina Faso.”
Watch and listen to the set above, and check out the tracklist below.
1. Super Biton de Segou – Dongari
2. Feqadu Amde-Mesqel – Asmarina (MyAsmara)
3. Hugh Masekela & Hedzoleh- Adade
4. Alhaji K. Frimpong – Abrabo
5. Christie Azumah & The Uppers International – Dinya Ya Suri
6. Amadou Balake – Super Bar Konon Mousso
7. Hailu Mergia & The Walias – Muziqawi Silt
8. Mahmoud Ahmed & The Equators Band – Aynotche Terabu