August 19, 2021
Exploring “the NYC <> Tokyo house music connection” from their sunny Brooklyn HQ.
In VF Live, DJs take you inside their HQs, record stores, and studios for intimate sets and mixes.
“In our set, we noticed a clear nod to Body & Soul and the NYC <> Tokyo house connection. Some records directly, some in spirit and texture,” Raffaele explains. “It makes sense, as that’s what we’ve been thinking about a lot lately. We wear our references on our sleeve — it feels most natural to us. That’s the way we were taught.
“In an industry that’s been co-opted and capitalised, seemingly feeding on dishonesty, this is what feels most honest for us. We are guests in this space, and it’s important to continue to present and contextualise our choices so others can pick up the bread crumbs and learn.
“It’s a soup of the sounds we find ourselves drawn to at the moment. Jazz-influenced house; dramatic, organic percussion; complex rhythms – tied to our emotions and state of mind at the moment.
“Jazzanova’s ‘Caravelle’ at 33rpm is a world I want to live wrapped up in forever. François K. presented it this way in his Essential Mix in 2000, but I can promise you Barbie arrived at the decision on her own. But François was here first!”
1. Parquet Courts – Plant Life (Peak Wifi Vibes Mix) (Rough Trade)
2. Nature Soul – Dawn (Beatless Dub) (Remix by Jerome Sydenham) (Ibadan)
2. Soul Family Sensation – I Don’t Even Know If I Should Call You (Marshall Jefferson Piano) (One Little Indian Records)
3. Fumio Itabashi, Henrik Schwarz, Kuniyuki – Watarase (Kuniyuki Version) (Mule Musiq)
4. Jazzanova – Caravelle (Jazzanova Compost Records)
5. Basement Jaxx – Betta Daze (Atlantic Jaxx)
6. Billy Cobham feat. Novecento – Interactive (Honeycomb Keyapella Mix) (Rebirth)
7. Anthony Nicholson – Transgressions (Circular Motion)
8. Ballistic Brothers – A Love Supreme (Black Science Orchestra Remixes) (Soundboy Entertainment)