November 12, 2021
A soul queens special – with Ann Peebles, The Clark Sisters, Barbara Lynn, Gwen Guthrie, and more .
In VF Live, DJs take you inside their HQs, record stores, and studios for intimate sets and mixes.
For their latest VF Live, Vinyl.eu’s Dingotracks plays soul queens special – dedicated to his mum.
“My musical curiosity came from my mum – who plays piano, accordion, and trumpet, amongst various other instruments, and who originally emigrated to Australia from the UK with my grandparents in the 1960s.
As a youngster, I was dragged along to “Bush Dances” in rural communities around South West Australia, so she could teach dance in early-1900s town halls with nice, big wooden floors. Meanwhile, back in the UK, the underground rhythm and soul scene was flourishing throughout northern England, with clubs like the Wigan Casino, Blackpool, and Golden Torch turning obscure American soul records into underground anthems.
Soul records became an exciting genre for me to collect. Featuring seemingly endless amounts of quality dance music full of emotion, heartbreak, and blues, the genre is quite the contrast to the hardcore/punk scene I was a part of at the time.
In this mix, I’ve selected some of my favourite female soul artists from my collection – dedicated to my mum, who I haven’t seen in three years due to ongoing lockdowns as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic. Fingers crossed vaccination rates rise, and I can come back for a visit sometime soon!
Equipment used in the mix: Mixer: RESØR Model 2525 – discrete class-A rotary DJ mixer; speakers: ARDA AUDIO – Midsize 1” Compression Driver on Controlled Directivity Horn made of Cork 112dB sensitivity 16ohm; Biamped 120w+500w class D Linear Phase Crossover; decks: TECHNICS Turntables SL 1200 M3D; slipmats: Vinyl.EU Pink Grapefruit Slipmats; 45 Adapters/Middles: SYD DEF JAM; headphones: AIAIAI TMA-2 DJ.”
Watch and listen to the set above, check out the tracklist below.
1. Boco – Running The Mardi Gras
2. Mitty Collier – Pain
3. Della Reese – It’s Was A Very Good Year
4. Family Circle – Crazy
5. Marie “Queen” Lyons – Fever
6. Jackson Sisters – Rock Steady
7. Gloria Barnes – You Don’t Mean It
8. Ann Peebles – Slipped, Tripped, And Fell In Love
9. Betty Harris – 12 Red Roses
10. Barbara Lynn – I Don’t Want a Playboy
11. Tina Turner – Strange
12. The Voices Of East Harlem – Cashing In
13. Gloria Ann Taylor – Love Is A Hurting Thing
14. The Clark Sisters – Everything’s Gonna Be Alright
15. Gwen McCrae – Keep The Fire Burning
16. Gwen Guthrie – It Should Have Been You
17. Jennifer Lara – I Am In Love
18. The Diddys feat. Paige Douglas – Intergalactic Love Song
19. Little Ann – Deep Shadows
20. Wendy Rene – After Laughter