October 13, 2021
A “committed, collaborative response to local and global systems of anti-Black racism and state violence.”
The Brkn Record are releasing their debut solo album, titled The Architecture of Oppression Part 1, via Mr Bongo this November.
Led by multi-instrumentalist Jake Ferguson, The Brkn Record features contributions from Zara McFarlane, Ugochi Nwaogwugwu, Lee Jasper, and more.
Combining poetry with jazz, the album draws on influences as diverse as library music, Madlib-influenced productions, and “psychedelic soul.”
The Architecture of Oppression Part 1 is described as a “committed, collaborative response to local and global systems of anti-Black racism and state violence.”
It follows Mr Bongo’s release of Australian jazz-funk group The Pro-Teens’s I Flip Every Time I Fly album, in September.
Pre-order The Architecture of Oppression Part 1 here in advance of its 5th November release, check out the artwork and tracklist below.
1. Assimilation (feat. Dylema)
2. His Mother’s Eyes (feat Jermain Jackman)
3. Brother Andrew – The Investigator (feat. Brother Andrew Muhammad)
4. Break the chains
5. A Police Service, not a Police Force (feat. Lee Jasper)
6. Hackney Ain’t Innocent (feat. Yolanda Lear)
7. On the Daily (feat Ugochi Nwaogwugwu)
8. Say Black (feat. Dylema) *
9. The Babylon Encounter (feat. Janette Collins and Leroy Logan)
10. Witness the Whiteness (feat. Adam Elliot Cooper)
11. Lifeline (feat. Zara McFarlane)
12. Reparations (Ft. Great Okuson & Sarah Solomon)