August 13, 2021
Featuring Beverly-Glenn Copeland, Félicia Atkinson, Tomoko Sauvage, Gavilán Rayna Russom, Museum Of No Art, and more.
Séance Centre has released a new compilation focusing on spells turned into sound, called Incantations.
Read more: Commune with Beverly Glenn-Copeland’s ambient synthesis in this gorgeous short film
For the compilation, the label paired eight spell-scores created by visual and text-based artists with musicians to bring to life.
“The resulting sound works give voice to these evocative “texts”, residing in the liminal space between musical form and magical utterance,” explains the label.
Incantations features Beverly Glenn-Copeland, Félicia Atkinson, Yu Su, Tomoko Sauvage, Gavilán Rayna Russom, Andrew Zukerman, Dani Spinosa, and more.
Alongside the LP, the vinyl edition also includes eight spell cards.
As well as contributing to Incantations, Glenn-Copeland is also the subject of artist Wu Tsang’s “film portrait” and curtain sculpture, Anthem, which is currently on show at the Guggenheim.
Purchase a copy of Incantations here, and check out the artwork and tracklist below.
1. Tomoko Sauvage – Salt Spell (spell by Benjamin Kilchhofer)
2. Museum Of No Art – Textile Trance (spell by Mehrnaz Rohbakhsh)
3. Gavilán Rayna Russom – Shadows Cast By Moonlight (spell by Dani Spinosa)
4. Félicia Atkinson – Enter The Memory of a Crow (spell by David Horvitz)
5. C.R. Gillespie – Invitation To A Clog (spell by Andrew Zukerman)
6. Idris Rahman – incanti jazz score 1 (spell by bill bissett)
7. Scott Gailey – Ginger Soy Milk Pudding 姜撞豆奶 (spell by Yu Su)
8. Beverly Glenn-Copeland – a spell for the present moment (spell by adrienne maree brown)
Photo by: Nathan Bajar