January 4, 2019
Roughly 100,000 more than in 2017.
A total of 4.2 million vinyl albums were sold in the UK over the past year, a 1.6% increase over 2017 reports the BBC.
Despite the steep decline in CD sales, and slowing of vinyl sales growth, physical sales (including CD and vinyl) still accounted for nearly £2 billion in the UK.
“Even HMV (which has recently gone into administration) has sales still of a quarter of a billion pounds, so that’s not a small business,” explains Kim Bayley of the Entertainment Retailers Association.
Artic Monkeys took the number one spot, with 38,000 copies sold of their album Tranquility Base Hotel and Casino, The Greatest Showman soundtrack took second place followed by Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours at number 3.
Of the ten top selling vinyl albums, only three were new LPs – Artic Monkey’s Tranquility Base Hotel and Casino, The Greatest Showman soundtrack and George Ezra’s Staying At Tamara’s.
“The reason vinyl sales are at a 25-year high is because people are rejecting this part of modern society where everything is immediate and nothing means anything,” shares Banquet Records’ Jon Tolley.
Check out the top 10 below:
Top selling vinyl albums in the UK 2018
1. Arctic Monkeys – Tranquility Base Hotel and Casino (38,000 copies)
2. Various Artists – The Greatest Showman (32,000 copies)
3. Fleetwood Mac – Rumours (32,000 copies)
4. Queen – Greatest Hits (31,500 copies)
5. Pink Floyd – Dark Side Of The Moon (26,000 copies)
6. George Ezra – Staying At Tamara’s (24,000 copies)
7. Nirvana – Nevermind
8. Oasis – (What’s The Story) Morning Glory
9. David Bowie – Legacy
10. Amy Winehouse – Back To Black