Nelly Ben Hayoun-Stépanian
* Audio for Nelly Ben Hayoun-Stépanian’s feature-length documentary I am (not) a Monster
* All original tracks recorded while filming in the summer of 2018 across 15 different cities, 6 different countries.
* Features interviews with Noam Chomsky (Philospher), Nadezhda Andreyevna Tolokonnikova (Pussy Riot), Magid Magid and many more.
* 2 x 12″ 180g heavyweight vinyl set within a printed gatefold sleeve
* Includes printed inner and outer sleeves
* Original Artwork by Nelly Ben Hayoun
* Each record sleeve is uniquely hand-drawn
* Grierson Award nominee, BFI London Film Festival 2019
* Limited edition of 200
* Vinyl & digital release date: 18/10/19
‘To act is to begin something new’ said Hannah Arendt, one of the greatest thinkers of all time who passed away in 1975 and who coined the concept of the ‘banality of evil’. In this original audio piece taken from independent film ‘I am (not) a Monster’ (London Film Festival’ 2019 Grierson Award nominee), learn about the thinking processes of activism and mechanisms of our risky thoughts. A most urgent film unravelling some of the reasons why Trump, Le Pen and others have captured people’s imaginations by reviving past ideologies. From dangerous plots to dangerous actions, you will hear about our collective fears both past and present but also encounter the contemporary monsters and actors of the future: the humanoids. Your guide in this adventurous journey is the alternative educator Nelly Ben Hayoun, who armed with puppets and dressed as Hannah Arendt, teases the greatest thinkers of our age whilst challenging them to an impossible pursuit; the search of the origins of knowledge.
I am (not) a monster features: political activist Noam Chomsky, Pussy Riot’s Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, Hannah Arendt’s students: Arjun Appadurai, Leon Botstein and Richard Bernstein, nonsense artist Novbumichi Tosa of Maywa Denki, robot maker Hiroshi Ishiguro, Japanese Living National Treasures: Bunraku puppeteer – Kanjuro Kiritake II, kimono master – Takayuki Takahashi, Noh Theatre master – Hisa Uzawa, Lord Mayor of Sheffield Magid Magid, cyborg artist Neil Harbisson and many more – students, alternative schools and brilliant thinkers.
A: I am (not) a Monster feature-length documentary film audio. part one.
B: I am (not) a Monster feature-length documentary film audio, part two