May 10, 2018
The ode to independent hip-hop, electro and disco rap returns.
Soul Jazz is releasing the third edition of its Boombox series this June on triple vinyl.
According to the label the compilation was “created with just one thing in mind – to get this party jumping!”
As with previous editions, Boombox 3 showcases lesser known artists who released some of the first rap and hip-hop records on vinyl.
Boombox 3‘s 18-tracks include “New York rap artists, classic disco breaks – including Chic’s omnipotent ‘Good Times’, MFSB’s ‘Love Is the Message’, Queen’s ‘Another One Bites The Dust’ etc. – proto- electro and more,” shares Soul Jazz.
“By the early 1980s the first rap records outside New York began to emerge – Los Angeles, Houston, Milwaukee, Phoenix – and the first of these are featured here.”
Boombox 3‘s triple vinyl release also includes a 44-page book with photographs, original artwork and images discussing “hip-hop’s trajectory from the first wave of Bronx creativity – the legendary DJs Kool Herc, Grandmaster Flash and Afrika Bambaataa – through to its arrival in Harlem via the entrepreneurism of old-school African-American rhythm and blues producers and émigré Jamaican producers all living in New York.”
Boombox 3 is out 1st June 2018; listen to Majestics’ ‘Class A’ and check out the track list below.
1. Majestics – Class A
2. Brother’s Disco – Thumpin
3. Mifflin Ensemble – On The Move
4. Sherod – Schooling (Put Your Mind To The Message)
5. Sugar Daddy – Another One Bites The Dust
6. Family Four – Rap Attack
8. The Caution Crew – Rhythm Rock (Part 1)
9. Poor Boy Rappers – The D.J. Rap
10. Family – Family Rap (6.56)
11. Bobby Deemo – Bugs-B-Skate Rap
12. Teen-Machine – Teen-Machine Rap
13. T.J. Swann & Company – Get Fly
14. Poor Boy Rappers – Low Rider Rap
15. Sicle Cell & Rhapazooty – Rhapazooty In Blue
16. Mr. Fox – Smooth Talk
17. Solid C, Bobby D & Kool Drop – Wack Rap
18. Disco Daddy & Capt. Rapp – The Gigolo Rapp