The 8 best turntable cartridges to achieve ultimate sound quality

The 8 best turntable cartridges to achieve ultimate sound quality

the-8-best-turntable-cartridges-to-achieve-ultimate-sound-quality

Cartridge1

When it comes to playback quality, the choice of cartridge is just as important as the amp, loudspeakers and the deck itself. On the hunt for perfect sound, our tech guru Paul Rigby reviews 8 of the best phono cartridges on the market right now.

There’s a school of thought that, to achieve the best sound quality from a hi-fi system, you need to look to your source. That is, the thing that plays your downloads, CDs or, in this case, vinyl. The idea is that you spend the most amount of money on your source and less on the things that come after it, further down the chain (i.e. the amplifier and speakers). Given that philosophy, it makes sense that you should also spend as much as you can afford on the cartridge, which is inherently part of the source turntable set-up.

Cartridges come in all shapes and sizes but there are two principle technologies that power them: Moving Magnet (MM) or Moving Coil (MC). In broad terms, the latter is of a more advanced design than the former and is, therefore, more expensive to buy. Both cartridge designs can sound excellent but the MC variant has the ability to go one step further and reach audiophile heights. Generally, the best value, lower cost, cartridges are of a MM design. There are cheap MC designs out there but they generally sound poor. If you’re going to build a MC cartridge, then you have to do it properly, which means spending good money on it, producing a more expensive product. For budget purposes, MM cartridges offer far better value.

The most popular cartridge type is the stereo cartridge. Most people will be happy with the latter and will never require any other. If your vinyl collection features mono pressings, however, then those discs will sound much better with a dedicated modern mono cartridge. These little understood designs actually arrive in two flavours: 0.7mil and 1mil, which reflects the size of the actual stylus point and the groove size it fits in. Broadly speaking, from 1953 to around 1967, mono grooves were manufactured in 1mil widths which were reduced to 0.7 from that point onwards. The last modern cartridge variant is the 78rpm type for those who love their shellac.

So, what are the best cartridges out there for you in terms of sheer sound quality? This is a small selection, there’s plenty of others out there that will do the job well. What’s your favourite?

cart-carbon-a

REGA CARBON
Price: £25

www.rega.co.uk

Nice thing about this budget MM cartridge is that it sounds good, despite what you might do to it. So, unlike those expensive cartridges that demand an exacting set-up procedure, the Carbon is a pretty relaxed cookie. Offering solid bass and decent upper mids, this is one cartridge that will never let you down.

Audio-TechnicaAT95EBL

AUDIO TECHNICA AT95 EBL
Price: £34.95

eu.audio-technica.com/en/

A popular MM design from a familiar hi-fi company. This design has been around forever and for a good reason, it’s a great budget choice that is not only ideal for those buying a turntable that arrives without a cartridge but as an upgrade for a basic design bundled with a new deck.

REGA RB78
Price: £68

www.rega.co.uk

You may be surprised to hear that there are many collectors of original 78s out there. Many use original equipment to play them on. Unless you are meticulous in caring for your disc, it’s easy to wreck 78s with the original 78 needles. Playing these discs on a modern turntable with a specially made ’78’ cartridge will prevent unnecessary damage.

Ortofon-2M-MonoP_700

ORTOFON 2M MONO
Price: £240

www.henleydesigns.co.uk

If you have got a batch of mono records, why can’t you just play them with a stereo cartridge and just flick the mono switch that’s available on many amplifiers or phono amps? Well, you can but a mono cartridge sounds so much better. A stereo cartridge can’t really track a mono groove properly, losing precision and impact. This Ortofon example is ideal for post-1967 mono rarities cuts and modern reissues.

Goldring-G1042

GOLDRING 1042
Price: £285

www.goldring.co.uk

The nice thing about MM cartridges and this mid-range price point is that you really hear what top notch MM technology can really do. Despite the MC technology being inherently superior, many hi-fi users love their MM carts and actually prefer them to their MC brethren. The 1042 is a superb example of that.

Dynavector-DV-10X5

DYNAVECTOR DV10x
Price: £370

www.dynavector.com

The reason I was generalising about MC cartridges was because of this little beauty. It’s tough to create a top notch MC cart for this sort of money but Dynavector has done it. In fact, this version is based upon a successful design that can trace its lineage all the back to 1978!

benz_glider_high

BENZ GLIDER
Price: £750

MC cartridges really come into their own when you start hitting this price point. This example from Benz sounds very clean but also offers great bass response and so is a good all-rounder while, for the technology and for what you get, also provides great value for money.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

MIYAJIMA ZERO
Price: £995

www.time-step.com

Available in both 1mil or 0.7mil formats, this hand-made mono design from Japan is set within African Blackwood (known for its musical qualities, this Tanzanian wood is used to make musical instruments such as clarinets). Playing the 1mil version on old jazz vocal records was nothing short of a revelation. Put it this way, the Zero made a mono record sound far more exciting and impressive than any stereo record that I’ve ever heard. In fact, stereo sounded gimmicky, in comparison. It was that good.

Comments (89)

1. Well, it’s hard to discuss carts made today and not mention two of the best MM designs available: the Goldring 2500 (advertised as MM but actually a smart MI design) that is far and away much more refined than the others in the 2000 and 1000 series from Goldring, and Ortofon 2M Black that is probably one of the best MM’s ever made, both of them will be extremely hard to beat with anything costing below 1500 euros 🙂

• Paul Rigby 2 years ago

Yes, I use a Black as my MM reference. It almost went it but, again, I wanted to retain a broad budget balance list.

• gliderboy 2 years ago

Paul, read you own title! “To Achieve Ultimate Sound Quality” Where does anyone get the idea you are going to focus half the reviews on small money carts?

• Paul Rigby 2 years ago

I refer you to the above reply.

2. Peter Ward 3 years ago

Pleased to see a Benz in the list, but what about Decca, Koetsu, Clearaudio….? Too much focus on “best” at £25 and £35 and not enough on the real best 🙂

• Paul Rigby 2 years ago

The idea is to address a wide budget range, Peter. We like to be inclusive. All of the above are worthy too, of course.

• gliderboy 2 years ago

Agree with Peter. 25 pounds for a cartridge? Give me a break! Pick one of those and move on to people who would actually care to read your article. Which was a waste of our time.

• Paul Rigby 2 years ago

Hello gents – Well, yes I could have come over all ‘elitist’ about it and only listed those cartridges worth £2k and over. Of course. Which would have then alienated 99% of the readership of this website. ‘Ultimate’ is relative to the budget and expectations you are living at and working towards. The aim of this and other features of a similar ilk is to cater for all budgets. If you have a query about a cartridge which exceeds the above price points, then I’ll be only too happy to help right here.

• Hulk fan 2 years ago

just replaced my old Clearaudio Insider( great sound, but no longer made) with the Clearaudio Titanium!….. It’s a beast!!!! Talk about focus/precision& range!

3. alex 2 years ago

Don’t listen to the haters, Paul, this article has just helped me decide on a budget cart as a first upgrade on a lower end deck. Not all HiFi enthusiasts have a dedicated listening room and 50k plus of gear, elitist attitudes scare away music lovers from our amazing hobby.

Paul Rigby 2 years ago

Thanks Alex – I’ll try to keep the faith.

• Alan 9 months ago

Amen! If it sounds good, it is good, regardless of cost.

4. Bastibast 2 years ago

Hello, very interesting article. I recently acquired a beautiful Lenco L78-SE. The stylus/cartridge is still the same from the start : Pickering P/AT-1 and PD07T. I would like to replace it with a reasonable budget but I’m having a hard time finding the same so I’m looking for something similar. What would be the best choice ?
    Have a nice day.

Paul Rigby 2 years ago

Is there an issue with it or are you looking for a replacement stylus and can’t find a source or have you had enough of it and want to move on?

• Bastibast 2 years ago

What a quick answer :)! It’s just very old (the turntable was built in 1977), I can barely see a “needle” at the end of my stylus, so maybe just replacing the stylus would be enough. For the stylus I found a Santon D5107-A , does this one match the Pickering P/AT-1 (which is the same as Pickering V15 if what I read on forums is right) ? If I have to change the cartridge too, the one that often shows up on forums is the Audio-Technica AT-95E. What should I do ? Another suggestion maybe ?
        Thank you very much.

Paul Rigby 2 years ago

If you want to go the replacement stylus route (cheaper) then head over to stylus experts such as http://www.musonic.co.uk and search for your cartridge to see the latest prices. They are highly recommended and know what they’re talking about. The Audio Technica is an excellent cart, yes, if you go for a replacement.

• Bastibast 2 years ago

Thank you very much for your help!

5. Tom 2 years ago

Hi Paul,

Thanks for a good starting point on upgrading my cartridge. I was wondering if you had any suggestions for pairing with a Planar 3 RB300 (origin live spec) arm. looking around £150-300 mark, I know pairing and cartridges are very much subject to both taste/ systems but it would be great to have some ideas! Others welcome to input their opinions!

Cheers, Tom

Paul Rigby 2 years ago

Check out that Goldring 1042 above (which you can pick up for a lot less than the price I stated) or possibly an Ortofon 2M Blue as a contrast.

• Tom 2 years ago

Cheers, Paul! Will investigate…

6. MARV HANKIN 2 years ago

Hi Paul. Just contemplating getting back into Vinyl. I currently use a Cambridge CD player on my own design amps and speakers.
    I have dug out my old Ariston RD40 which is paired with an SME3009 (can’t remember if it is a series 1 or 2) tone arm. It had a Stanton 480EE cartridge attached which no longer works. I therefore need a new cartridge. I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg at this point and am considering something like a Grado Black or Blue device. These have a relatively low inductance which means that they can be encouraged towards a brighter sound with an appropriate capacitor. Any thoughts on this or any other part in this sort of price range???

Paul Rigby 2 years ago

I like Grado – my very first third-party cart was a Grado, in fact. What’s your budget Marv? I only ask because I would encourage you to also check out the Ortofon 2M Red which may have the edge.

• MARV HANKIN 2 years ago

Hi Paul. Thanks for the reply. My budget would be less than £100, any more and I will have trouble getting past the household management committee.
        I probably err towards a brighter sound to compensate for my ageing ears though having said that I have always preferred it that way. I also like decent bass but am not averse to adding a bit of bass lift to compensate. My musical taste is buried in everything from classical to the Stones, The Who, Dire Straits et al.

Paul Rigby 2 years ago

If you want to aim for the bright sound then maybe the Grados are more your thing, Marv. Stick with those and you should be happy.

• MARV HANKIN 2 years ago

Ok. Thanks for that Paul .

7. Eric Johns 2 years ago

This has been very informative I have a Audio Note TT-2 and a pre amp, and at a loss to what would be the Best option for a cartridge. Any ideas?

Paul Rigby 1 year ago

What’s your budget Eric?

8. Basil 2 years ago

Hi Paul Really informative article.
    I’ve had hours and hours of pleasure with a Dynavector 10×5/Origin Live MkII set-up. Finally upgrading the TT to VPI Classic 3 but am overwhelmed by the cost of cartridges…. In your opinion could the 10X5 still hold its own and deliver a quality sound on the VPI or will an upgrade (to Dynavector 17D3 or XX 2) produce significantly superior results?

Paul Rigby 1 year ago

Yes…and yes 🙂 That is, if you can afford it then I would encourage the upgrade to extract more detail from your grooves. That said, the TT upgrade should provide improved sonics for now, in case money is scarce.

• Basil 1 year ago

Thanks Paul
        I have the VPI set up with a 10×5. The result audible…. BUT clearly, in my experience so far, in the world of high-end audio, the quest for that perfect sound is illusive and expensive. “Just one more up-grade…….”
        That’s what I told my wife last time….

Paul Rigby 1 year ago

Ah, sounds like you and I share the same glorious nightmare, Basil.

9. bonamin 1 year ago

Well to be honest this is helpful, but I never thought there were SO many things, and SO expensive that play a role when playing back a vinyl.

I am in the search for my first Vinyl Setup and I see so many things to choose from, that my head is in pain 😀

PS. Never heard a Vinyl in my life EVER before. Actually never see one up close. My father used to have one. But we never used it when I was a kid. And as I grew up I only used cassettes, then CDs and now Digital Only. I think Vinyl is going to be something awesome for me as I will discover it now for the first time. 😀

10. speedrider 1 year ago

Hi Paul,

Is Rega Carbon compatible on Technics SL series headshell? Im using Sl-B202. Need your thoughts and advice.

Thanks

Paul Rigby 1 year ago

Shouldn’t be a problem, Speedrider

11. Tom Daly 1 year ago

I’m old school. Cartridges from the actual monophonic era suit me more than contemporary cartridges. I use a GE RPX series cartridge or a GE VRII cartridge, both with 1.0 mil styli for playing mono LPs and 45s. These are convenient cartridges to use, because the styli are mounted in a t-bar that allows the user to keep two styli in the cartridge at all times. In the VRII, I keep a 1.0 mil stylus in the LP end and a .7 mil stylus for playing later mono LPs cut with stereo cutting heads, as well as for mono reproduction of stereo and rechanneled LPs. In the RPX, I keep a 1.0 mil stylus for mono LPs and a 3.0 mil stylus for 78 rpm discs. Modern JEI headhshells, such as those for Technics, Audio Technica, and Pioneer turntables (as well as SME tonearms) require a hole to be drilled in the top of the headshell to accommodate the shaft and knob of t-bar required to rotate the proper stylus into the playing position. These cartridges provide outstanding mono reproduction, as they were designed to play the vintage mono discs manufactured during the mono era. They’re readily available used (sometimes new) on eBay, they do not deteriorate, and new styli in 4 different sizes are also available (3.0 mil, 2.5 mil, 1.0 mil and .7 mil). All styli made for either GE cartridge have conical/spherical tips.

12. craigzlist2 1 year ago

Rega Carbon is actually a re-badged Audio Technica AT91. I bought an AT95E out of curiosity. For the money I don’t know how they do it, I would recommend it to anyone.

13. Roderick Oates 1 year ago

There is a lot to be said for turntable music. The stylus needs the rest of the machine to operate in its best condition. My own T/T is not in the same room as the speakers. Yet we can percieve huge changes in performance if the spring suspension is not exactly correct. When it is, the cartidge then needs minute changes to enable it to perform to its best. Next there is the connection between the T/T and the amplifier. This carries a tiny current and therefore needs a top class piece of wire to connect them. When all this is right, one should go back to the cartridge and keep pressing on with the alignment. The Vertical tracking angle is important. When it is right the difference you hear between a £45 cartridge and a £300 cartridge is very small. I use a Thorens deck and an AT95e Cartridge. It drives a £675 phono amp.
    By preference I would use the Goldring 1042. I have tried moving coils and found them to be so delicate as to be useless. One should be able to stick a record on and listen to the music, not mess about with mechanics.

14. Bill 12 months ago

Hi Amar (or is it Paul?). It looks like your article has stood the test of time. I had to scroll pretty far down to find the “haters” lol. Anyhow, I found the article a nice refresher. My T/T has been out of service for about five years due to the need for a tonearm rewire. The t/t is handmade, and very fiddly, but sounds great when it works with Benz Ace and Kuzma arm… I almost bought the glider once, but opted for the ace on budget grounds. I love the look of the “nude” glider, but it looks so vulnerable! 🙂 I am sure any perceived fragility is in my imagination! Anyhow good to see things have not moved on too much at the low end since I used to regularly read the audio asylum vinyl forum… The only thing missing seems to be something called the 440mla… I think I may bite the bullet and get back into the game with a new PLX1000 (which would be my first “new” audio purchase in 30 years!) I am thinking it might go well with MM. I will try my ACE first (near mint condition) but I think the PLX1000 may come with replaceable headshell, so it would be easy to experiment. I am thinking something like the AT95EBL… Or the MLA440 or the AT95E (is that the same as the AT95EBL?) If I ever win the lottery I would love to hear THE CARTRIDGE MAN’s MusicMaker Mk 3 which was getting rave reviews (esp for MM) a few years back. I see it is still available, and I guess at its price it must have some followers. I also think the SHURE M97XEmight have its fans…

My question is, what do you think for the PLX1000? Would the ACE sound good? Would MM be better? Would the sub-300 pound MM carts just be a waste of time next to the ACE?

Paul Rigby 11 months ago

Hi Bill
      Is the proposed PLX1000 purchase for our job as a DJ and you’re looking to use the deck as a listening device in between gigs? If so, I wouldn’t spend too much on the cart for general listening. This is a good tool but not the very best audiophile design in terms of value for the asking price. Anything more than a Ortofon 2M Red might be a waste. If this is a pure listening design then there are far better models out there in terms of pure sound quality. Get back to me with more background info and we can chat some more.

• Bill 11 months ago

Hi Paul

The TT is for listening. I have read a few quite positive reviews of the PLX1000, as a audiophile deck, but there are some nay-sayers as well, and it is not cheap at A$1000. I know one can slide a few rungs up the ladder of the Pro-ject range for that money. At the moment though, I am looking at revitalising my old custom-made belt-drive rig. I have found a guy with a good reputation located in NSW that can do the rewire at a reasonable price. He can do that and sell me a very good controllable DC motor for about the same price as the PLX1000. Reading between the lines of your post your opinion seems to be that the PLX1000 would not compete in sound quality with a similarly priced belt drive. Never having heardthem side by side, my current T/T is probably on par with something like an RPM 9. The Stogi arm has a nice synergy with the Benz cart. I like a lot of detail…

Any comments would be welcomed. 🙂

15. Russ 12 months ago

Hi, I have an Ortofon Rhondo Red mc. They have been discontinued. The Dynavector DV10X looks promising. Anyone got any alternative recommendations? Thanks.

Paul Rigby 11 months ago

If you can stretch to it, check out the Hana carts. Superb for the price. My review in HiFi World is also linked to this page: http://www.analogueseduction.net/all-cartridges/hana-sl-low-output-moving-coil-cartridge.html

• Russ 11 months ago

Thanks for your answer, however, I noticed a rondo bronze, on ebay, For £200, and they were £750. However, I don’t know how I would give my old one back, for a 25% discount, which Ortophon have always done. Can you help me out?
        I’m sure I bought a statmat from you, in the last couple of years.

Paul Rigby 11 months ago

Hi Russ
          I’m a mere journalist, not a retailer. It won’t have been myself, sorry 🙂 Not sure what you mean by ‘giving back’ the cart. Is this one bought via retail or via eBay? You will need to discuss that with your supplier, I’m afraid. The Bronze is nice.

• Russ 11 months ago

Cheers for replying,
            You say the bronze is nice, have you heard the red? If so, what are the differences you noticed?
            And don’t call yourself a mere journalist, unless you work for the Sun, ect!

• Russ 11 months ago

I just realised you reviewed that Dynavector high output mc cartridge.10x 5
            Is it better than my rhondo red? I’ve got Trichord phono and psu with project RPM6 turntable.
            Your thoughts would be very appreciated.
            Thanks
            Russell Cousins

• Russ 11 months ago

If you are round and about now, you could call me for a quick chat, about the subject.
        0792 8632 057.

16. Guy 11 months ago

Paul, Getting back into the vinyl game and was given a pristine SL-1300 mkI with a Grado ZF3. I used to run a SL-7 with an EPC-310MC and I do miss the sound of that cartridge. Where does the ZF3 stand in comparison to some of the carts here? I was considering replacing it with a Clearaudio Concept MM, but your article got me thinking about other options.

And finally, should I bother with replacing the cart on an old SL-1300, or consider updating the deck too?

Paul Rigby 10 months ago

It depends 🙂 Both deck and cart are decent but time has moved on and there’s better kit out there offering better value for your money. The ‘depends’ bit is: how attached to each are you? The Concept is excellent, though. Highly recommended.

17. Richard Dyer 10 months ago

Dear Paul,

I have just been given a Systemdek IIX without a headshell or cartridge. I am thinking of getting a Audio Technica AT95E Moving Magnet Cartridge, should I pair this with a Technics Black Headshell, or should I search for a Technica headshell? The arm is a Linn Basik LV V. Many thanks.

18. Denni Kristjansson 10 months ago

What kind of a pick-up should I get in to my mid 70’s Micro Seki MR-711 turntable

Paul Rigby 10 months ago

What’s your budget, Denni?

19. Steven Turner 10 months ago

Hi, I have just bought a Audio Tech Lp5 deck which has a AT95e cartridge fitted and was wondering what is the easiest way to find out what cartridge I can upgrade it to? do you have any suggestions as to what or where I should be looking on the net for products or advice?
    Regards
    Steve

Paul Rigby 10 months ago

Hi Steve
      There’s a host of possibilities that will all work well. That company’s AT100E is an option worth considering. For me? I’d go for the Ortofon 2M Red at £95 for a proper sonic quality boost though. Later on, you can change the stylus only to a 2M Blue stylus for £135 which is the same as upgrading to the Blue proper because both the Red and Blue share that same chassis.

• Steven Turner 10 months ago

thanks Paul, I’ve actually found a reasonably priced ‘Audio Technica AT-440 MLB MM Phono Cartridge’ – any good?
        Cheers
        Steve

Paul Rigby 10 months ago

A touch forward in the midrange but, overall, excellent. Go for it!

20. Nick Wood 10 months ago

As a result of buying my son a separates system for his 18th, I’ve finally brought my Linn Axis TT with Basik Plus tonearm and K5 cartridge out of retirement. The K5 looks a little weary but still functions OK. Always felt it lacked a little attack/presence (not brightness if you know what I mean). Any suggestions for a K5 replacement with a little more oomph?

Paul Rigby 9 months ago

How much do you want to pay?

• Nick Wood 9 months ago

Shall we say £200? Looked at the K5 stylus under the microscope, and have cleaned it up a lot – much better definition all round but I’m still left wanting!

Paul Rigby 8 months ago

Ortofon 2M Blue would fit that price nicely.

21. Dimitris Babilis 9 months ago

Hello Paul
    I have a thorens 125 turntable with an sme series 3 arm what cartridge do you suggest ?

• M Sondek 9 months ago

it depends on your Budget, for less than $500, i would go for the Denon DL 103R, with a bigger budget, you should consider the ZYX FS Fuji at +- $ 1,500 But the difference in the price is worth it. If you can afford it…

• Dimitris Babilis 9 months ago

Thanks a lot
        I was thinking for the 103R myself
        What about Audio Technica AT OC9 ?
        Will it match with the tonearm?

• M Sondek 9 months ago

sorry but i can not help you as i do not have experience with an s arm, am a straight arm fanatic… but the sound of the AT OC9 is, for my taste, too clean or cold. But as i said it was paired with an Ittok LViii

Paul Rigby 9 months ago

What’s your budget?

• Dimitris Babilis 9 months ago

About $500
        I am between Denon DL 103R and Audio Technica AT OC9
        but the main thing is what is the best match for this tonearm and i did not mention my Phono Preamplifier which is an Electrocompaniet ECP-1
        Many thanks for your reply Paul

22. George Smart 9 months ago

Hi Paul a list of your next ten cartridges would be great.

Paul Rigby 9 months ago

Stay tuned – I’m going to split this list into low, mid and high end. Not right now, don’t hold your breath, will be a little while…but it’s on the way.

23. MEL MEL 9 months ago

hi Paul, what are your thoughts on the older STANTON 680EL for combining sound quality and dj’ing?
    george

• MEL MEL 9 months ago

on a Technics sl1200 of-course 🙂

Paul Rigby 9 months ago

In general? Decent sound but well suited for DJs because it tracks well on just about anything. Not a lot of skipping from this fella.

24. M Sondek 9 months ago

Denon DL103 R should have been in this, i have been trying many options over the last 35 years, i know, am old, and am always coming back to this one for the musicality.

Paul Rigby 9 months ago

Thanks for that, it’s now part of the list 🙂

25. Gerry Jansen 9 months ago

Hi Paul. Thoughts please, on the Ortofon Quintet Black MC? (mounted on Ittok LV-II, recently upgraded LP-12).
    Thanks, Gerry.

Paul Rigby 9 months ago

Nice thoughts, Gerry. Nice thoughts. Rich midrange, overall neutral. Go for it.

26. Jim Van Dyk 9 months ago

The Denon 103 is sorely missing. The greatest bargain in all of the cartridge world.

27. Roger McCormick 8 months ago

Hi everybody! I’m just another crazy vinyl freak and love it. I have that Dynavector cartridge on my Thorens 166. It needs a new stylus now but when it was working I could hear a flea fart at fifty paces. The seller said he thought it was a cheap cartridge but I think he is mistaking. I got so much money in my hobby it’s crazy but I love it. My two newest cartridges is the Ortafon 2m blue and the Denon dl 110. Everyone have a nice day!

28. BradyQ 8 months ago

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with us. I have a Rega P25 TT
    with a Benz Micro Silver cartridge, and I’m looking to upgrade to a better
    sounding musical not analytic cartridge. I’ve narrow down the list to, Benz
    Micro ACE H, Clearaudio Virtuoso V2 Ebony MM, Clearaudio Artist V2 Ebony, Rega
    Exact. I’ve lost some hearing in my ears and musicality is more important to
    than the analytical sound. I would also like to hear the difference in an
    upgraded cartridge, my budget is $1,000. I would appreciate it if you can
    provide your opinion or suggestions.

Thank you.

Paul Rigby 7 months ago

Hi BradyQ – because of the situation with your ears and because you were happy with the Benz, I would go with the Benz again. Similar style and approach to music.

29. DANIEL 5 months ago

When you start using esoteric material like African Blackwood and giving it exotic musical properties, that’s when you lose me. That’s when I think of the placebo effect.

• Anna Gonella Curtis 5 months ago

Well of course different woods have different resonating properties.just look at the musical instrument industry – as a guitarist, I can tell the difference between many woods used for a guitar body so why therefore, should this not apply to the body of a cartridge which is picking up sonic vibrations from a spinning disk ?

• D. Paul League 3 months ago

Anna the cartridge is an electro-mechanical device. Using fancy wood or plastic doesn’t change the stylus pickup. The fancy is for the buyer to believe their cart is better. That’s why Audio Technica is the largest maker of fine cartridges in the world. They don’t fancy the carts, but how the cart is built and the stylus tip is the reason they do so well. I own a Rega Bias cart and it is horrible at $160. I would put the Audio Technica AT-7V against any other cartridge under $300 and beat it. They have been building this cartridge for nearly 20 years.

• monetschemist 3 months ago

Eh Paul if you don’t understand that EVERYTHING vibrates and vibrating things send energy back down the cantilever to the record-stylus interface then you should perhaps pause and think about this a bit.

Any material has the ability to affect the tonality of the music reproduced this way – for good or bad. Whether this is in the cantilever, cartridge body, the headshell, the tonearm…

As to how it affects it – well the specs don’t tell you that. And the combo of cartridge / tonearm certainly can affect it. Perhaps the platter mat, platter etc etc as well.

Think of it as a system, because that is what it is in the end. You could model it as a bunch of springs and blocks and stuff. It’s not just the stylus / record interface.

• D. Paul League 3 months ago

I agree with most of what you said, but the subject was cartridge, and to say that wood is so important is also saying all of the great plastic carts are lacking. You judge for yourself.

• D. Paul League 4 months ago

Daniel I feel the same as you. Make sure you add the appropriate dollars to these special wood carts. Just like the 1960-80s, when the popularity goes up, so does the price of the equipment. When AR introduced their turntable, it put the audiophile industry on its heels. A $100 turntable that would play the best cartridges was unheard of then. Now carts cost well into the $1000s of dollars, and the question comes, is the sound worth the cost. Shibata stylus is one of the hot designs today at the appropriate cost. I remember when they cost half what the Shure V15 Type III cost. The audio business is now and always has been a one arm bandit. It continues to take your money with no guarantee the super expensive equipment is any better than the more affordable carts well less than $500.