Out of stock
New compilation Untitled collects seven collaborations inspired by the life and work of Jean-Michel Basquiat, pairing emerging and established musicians to create a genre-defying compilation of new music.
* Shabaka Hutchings, Kojey Radical, Wu-Lu, Nubya Garcia, Lex Amor, Ego Ella May, LayFullstop, Moroka, AJ Kwame, Lord Tusk, Roxanne Tataei, Kz, Mala, Joe Armon-Jones, Confucius MC, Kwake Bass, Maxwell Owin & Coby Sey.
* 12″ gatefold sleeve printed with UV Spot gloss
* 1 x 180g heavyweight black vinyl
* Artwork by Fabrice Bourgelle & Anja Ngozi
* Design by Raimund Wong
* Mastered by Finyl Tweek, London.
* Ltd Ed. of 1500
* Vinyl and digital release date: 31/05/2019
A1. Wu-Lu, Lex Amor, Ego Ella May – ‘Legend’
A2. LayFullstop, Moroka, AJ Kwame – ‘Broadcast By Chocolate’
A3. Lord Tusk ft. Roxanne Tataei – ‘Know Ways’
B1. Kojey Radical, Shabaka Hutchings – ‘No Gangster’ (Produced by Kz)
B2. Mala, Joe Armon-Jones, Nubya Garcia – ‘Scratch & Erase’
B3. =CoN+KwAkE= – ‘Same Ol Samo’
B4. Maxwell Owin & Coby Sey – ‘Response to Michel’
Released by Lonely Table, Anja Ngozi and The Vinyl Factory, with support from the Arts Council England, the album spans genres and eras, touching on jazz, experimental electronic, post-punk, dub and ambient influences, painting a diverse picture of the UK’s expanding underground sound.
Drawing on Barbican’s major Basquiat retrospective in 2017, the project also explores themes around identity, representation and social inequality.
As such Untitled also encompasses a youth project with Ruff Sqwad Foundation, in which seven BME young people aged 12-18 were given the opportunity to visit the Tate Modern and create music in response to what they saw.
As LayFullstop says: “We’re celebrating a legend who fought with his brushes and spoke with his work. The need for his work is still as current as ever. The issues we’re attacking are still as current as ever. So it’s only logical that Basquiat is and will continue to be as current as ever.”