June 10, 2021
Playing with Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Sonny Rollins, Red Garland alongside Donald Byrd, Tadd Dameron, and Art Taylor.
John Coltrane’s saxophone output as a sideman is explored in a new compilation, Another Side Of John Coltrane, released via Craft Recordings this August.
Though Coltrane is largely known for his work as a leader and composer, during the early stages of his career, he played alongside jazz legends including Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker.
However, it was during Coltrane’s time playing alongside Miles Davis when his sound elevated into singular realms.
Another Side Of John Coltrane collects a selection of Coltrane’s work as a sideman with Davis as well as Sonny Rollins, Tadd Dameron, Art Taylor, and Red Garland alongside Donald Byrd.
It follows the release of Coltrane ’58: The Prestige Recordings 8xLP box set on Craft.
Pre-order Another Side Of John Coltrane here in advance of its 20 August release, check out the cover and tracklist below.
Tracklist (vinyl edition)
1. Sonny Rollins Quartet – Tenor Madness
2. Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants – ’Round Midnight
3. The Miles Davis Quintet – Oleo
1. The Miles Davis Quintet – Airegin
2. Tadd Dameron with John Coltrane – Soultrane
3. Art Taylor – C.T.A.
4. Thelonious Monk – Monk’s Mood
1. Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane – Epistrophy (Alternate Take)
2. Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane – Trinkle, Tinkle
3. Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane – Nutty*
4. Red Garland Quintet featuring John Coltrane and Donald Byrd – Birks’ Works*
1. The Red Garland Quintet with John Coltrane – Billie’s Bounce
2. Miles Davis – Someday My Prince Will Come