January 6, 2020
“Fusing the sounds of hip-hop, jazz and soul to convey the gravity and hope of the struggles of an African-American artist.”
According to the label, the LP “wrestles with the abhorrent American prison system, the ebbs and flows of romantic relationships, and perils of trust… the backdrop to these varied themes is Overall confronting his experience with mental illness.”
“Mental instability or hyper-sensitivity was something that felt too taboo to talk about,” shares Overall.
“I want to show the world that mentally sensitive people are the innovators of our society, and hopefully set a new standard that includes a healthy way of life and embracing our unique perspective on reality.”
Its 12-tracks feature cameos from activist Angela Davis, as well as artists including Theo Croker, J.Hoard and Melanie Charles.
Head here for more info in advance of the album’s 28th February release, check out the cover artwork and tracklist below.
1. Visible Walls
2. Please Don't Kill Me (feat. Joel Ross & Theo Croker)
3. Find Me (feat. J Hoard)
4. I Know You See Me (feat. J Hoard & Melanie Charles)
5. Sleeping on the Train
6. Show Me a Prison (feat. J Hoard & Angela Davis)
7. Halfway House
8. Landline (feat. Carlos Overall)
9. Darkness in Mind (feat. Sullivan Fortner)
10. The Best of Life (feat. Aaron Parks)
11. Got Me a Plan
12. Was She Happy (For Geri Allen) (feat. Vijay Iyer)
Banner photo by Duane E. Savage.