October 12, 2020
Electronic amapiano sounds from Gauteng.
Producer Teno Afrika is releasing his debut album, called Amapiano Selections, via Awesome Tapes From Africa this October.
Amapiano is a genre that emerged from South Africa’s Gauteng province, and draws on elements of house, jazz and kwaito baselines, fuelled by a DIY ethos.
“Most amapiano commercial successes today began their careers on cracked versions of production software like Fruity Loops Studio, distributed their work through file sharing platforms like datafilehost, and marketed it using social media pages they controlled and influenced,” notes journalist Setumo-Thebe Mohlomi.
For Teno Afrika’s debut album, he takes amapianos sound and adds elements of diBacardi, gong gong and Afro-house.
The album features contributions from Diego Don, Stylo Musiq, Flame Darula, and SilvadropZ.
Amapiano Selections follows Awesome Tapes From Africa’s reissue of Penny Penny’s 1996 album Yogo Yogo.
Head here to pre-order a copy in advance of Amapiano Selections’ 23rd October release, check out the artwork and tracklist below.
1. Teno Afrika & Diego Don featuring Stylo Musiq & Flame Darula – Ambassadors
2. Teno Afrika & Diego Don – Storytellers
3. Teno Afrika – 8 Ubers (Tribute to DJ Jaivane)
4. Teno Afrika & Diego Don featuring Stylo Musiq & Flame Darula – Conka
5. Teno Afrika & SilvadropZ – Smooth Criminal
6. Teno Afrika – Lerato La Bass
7. Teno Afrika & SilvadropZ – Trip to Vlakas (Main Mix)
8. Teno Afrika – Chants of Africa