May 5, 2020
Funk, soul and boogie from a record shop in Brixton.
With quarantines and lockdowns due to the Coronavirus pandemic ongoing around the world, artists are finding new ways to connect with people worldwide.
As part of our new feature on site – VF Live – our favourite collectors take you inside their homes, for intimate record selects and mixes.
For Sarah Evans’ third set, the radio present and producer returns to Soul Proprietors – a specialist record shop in Brixton, London.
Watch and listen to Sarah’s set above, find out more about it and check out the tracklist below.
“I’m using two Technics 1210s and a Vestax PMC 05pro mixer, with a 3.5mm stereo jack plug to 2 RCA Phono Plugs running from the mixer output into my 2004 MacBook and recording line in on QuickTime. The microphone is a late ’60s/’70s RESLOSOUND LTD Ribbon microphone 30/50 ohms (made in England).
Each set so far has been comprised of new and old records that I’ve acquired from over a decade. My collection consists of funk, disco, jazz, house, highlife, afrobeat, techno, electro, psychedelic and hip-hop.”
1. The Perfect Circle – The Hands of Time
2. Blackbusters – Old Man
3. Ripple – I Don’t Know What It Is But It Sure Is Funky
4. Dee Felice Trio – There Was A Time
5. Roy Budd – Elliot Drives To Alex
6. Ben & The Platano Group – Platano Split
7. Sven Wunder – Lotus
8. Chubb Rock – Treat Me Right
9. John Ozila – Funky Boogie
10. Greg Henderson – Dreamin (Extended 12” version)
11. Lorenzo Morresi – Gallery