October 3, 2020
Disco, funk and soul from Soul Proprietors record shop in Brixton.
In VF Live, our favourite collectors take you inside their homes, record shops and studios for intimate selects and mixes.
For Sarah Evan’s latest set, she returns to Soul Proprietors – a specialist record shop in Brixton, London.
Watch and listen to Sarah’s set above, find out more about it and check out the tracklist below.
“I’m using two Technics 1210s and a Vestax PMC 05pro mixer, with a 3.5mm stereo jack plug to 2 RCA Phono Plugs running from the mixer output into my 2004 MacBook and recording line in on QuickTime. The microphone is a late ’60s/’70s RESLOSOUND LTD Ribbon microphone 30/50 ohms (made in England).
Each set so far has been comprised of new and old records that I’ve acquired from over a decade. My collection consists of funk, disco, jazz, house, highlife, afrobeat, techno, electro, psychedelic and hip-hop.”
1. Honny And The Bees Band – Psychedelic Woman
2. Leroi Conroy – La Gran Mesa
3. Brass Construction – Movin’
4. 100% Pure Poison – Holes In My Shoes
5. Bill Withers – Grandma’s Hands
6. Gang Starr – Jazz Thing
7. Stretch – Why Did You Do It
8. Le Pamplemousse – Gimme What You Got
9. The Blackbyrds – The Baby
10. Soul Caesar – Soul Caesar
11. Kingdom of Kaffa – Ch’erek’a Bereha
12. Kingdom of Kaffa – Yejoro Tili
13. Kingdom of Kaffa – Dibo di Bongo